Posted: May 3, 2023
The Chisholm Legacy Project Summary
The mission of the Chisholm Legacy Project is rooted in the Just Transition Framework. The project serves as a vehicle to connect Black communities on the frontlines of climate justice with resources to traverse the path from vision to strategy to action plan to implementation to transformation. In support of frontline leadership, the project seeks to link movements and mainstream entities with the tools necessary to advance systems change centered in equity and justice. With Black women on the frontlines of advancing systems change, this project ensures that these leaders have the support they need as they transform society from extractivism to a living economy that cares for sacred relationships between people and with Mother Earth, through regenerative, cooperative, democratic systems.
Summary of Senior Accountant Position
The Chisholm Legacy Project seeks a Senior Accountant with a commitment to supporting Black Liberation and a willingness to be on a learning journey with regard to joining an institution that is grounded in Black Liberation, Climate Justice, and Just Transition. The ideal candidate will enjoy applying their technical knowledge, will take ownership of their area and consistently look for ways to improve processes and operations. Additionally, the Senior Accountant is responsible for various functions in the Finance Team including overseeing the preparation of monthly financial statements and leading the annual audit and tax engagement. In addition to sound accounting skills, this position requires critical and analytical thinking, the ability to work independently, attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and the willingness to learn and grow within the organization.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer, and by extension, the Deputy Director and Executive Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the month-end accounting
- Close functions to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for bank accounts, general ledger, and credit cards.
- Prepare and/or review monthly journal entries.
- Review semi-monthly payroll data for processing.
- Prepare monthly financial statements including Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and Cash Flow Statement in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Monitor budget to actual income and expenses.
- Monitor cash balances and calculate excess for investment.
- Analyze financial trends and benchmarks.
- Lead the annual financial audit and tax return process with external accounting firm.
- Assist with the annual budget development.
- Lead grant financial application and reporting process.
- Draft organizational accounting policies and financial procedures to maintain internal controls.
- Research, recommend, and implement resolutions to questions and inquiries from varying stakeholders.
- Provide guidance to other finance team members and staff, as needed.
- Participate as a thought-partner with the Chief Financial Officer and Finance Team on financial policies, procedures, tools, and systems.
- Perform ad hoc accounting, finance, and payroll projects or analysis, as assigned.
- Travel occasionally for in-person staff gatherings throughout the year.
- Commitment to Black Liberation and willingness to be on a learning journey with regard to institutional grounding in Black Liberation, Climate Justice, and Just Transition.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, accountability, and a commitment to TCLP’s mission. Collaborative teammate with outstanding problem-solving ability, “can-do” mindset, detail-oriented, and overall commitment to results.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally for in-person staff gatherings.
- Thorough understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Ability to interpret and analyze financial statements.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office (particularly, Excel) and familiarity with accounting software and expense management systems.
- Five (5) years of accounting experience preferred with knowledge of audit and tax compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or some related field.
Details at a Glance
Full Time Schedule
4-Year Degree Required
Up to USD $85,000 / year
This position is fulltime, exempt. The salary is $85,000. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, health savings accounts, health reimbursement arrangements, income protection (AD&D), tax savings, travel assistance, EAP, life insurance, and retirement plans, as well as vacation, PTO, and holidays.
Interested in this position?
Apply online at Idealist.org