Accounts Payable Specialist
Posted: May 4, 2023
The Chisholm Legacy Project Summary
The mission of the Chisholm Legacy Project is rooted in the Just Transition Framework. The project serves as a vehicle to connect Black communities on the frontlines of climate justice with resources to traverse the path from vision to strategy to action plan to implementation to transformation. In support of frontline leadership, the project seeks to link movements and mainstream entities with the tools necessary to advance systems change centered in equity and justice. With Black women on the frontlines of advancing systems change, this project ensures that these leaders have the support they need as they transform society from extractivism to a living economy that cares for sacred relationships between people and with Mother Earth, through regenerative, cooperative, democratic systems.
Summary of Accounts Payable Specialist Position
The Chisholm Legacy Project seeks a motivated Accounts Payable Specialist with a commitment to supporting Black Liberation and a willingness to be on a learning journey with regard to joining an institution that is grounded in Black Liberation, Climate Justice, and Just Transition. The role is responsible for the accurate and timely processing of all payment requests submitted to The Chisholm Legacy Project. The ideal candidate exudes impeccable customer service, pays close attention to detail, and can process a high volume of transactions with accuracy and grace. A cooperative spirit and flexibility are also required as the role involves assisting with the completion of various other priorities within the Finance Team along with some administrative and clerical duties. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer, and by extension, the Deputy Director and Executive Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Primary point of contact for accounts payable management.
- Provide impeccable customer service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure organizational-wide compliance of all expenditure policies and controls.
- Process all payment requests: invoices, honorariums, employee reimbursements, contract payments, payroll.
- Maintain accurate vendor records and information.
- Administer organizational credit cards and review all credit card expenditures.
- Enter monthly journal entries in accounting system.
- Perform month-end closing procedures including A/P reconciliation and transaction class tagging.
- Import various transactions into accounting system and reconcile: banking, A/P, credit cards, payroll, deposits.
- Record individual donor contributions and other income receipts, periodically as needed.
- File quarterly Sales and Use Tax return filings.
- Prepare annual 1099 tax filings for independent contractors.
- Prepare annual tax acknowledgements to donors.
- Manage the finance email inbox.
- Liaise with the external professional employer organization (PEO) vendor on finance and payroll matters.
- Assist with various ongoing or annual projects (e.g. budget, audit, grants, etc.).
- Perform additional administrative and clerical tasks as assigned.
- Travel occasionally for in-person staff gatherings throughout the year.
- Commitment to Black Liberation and willingness to be on a learning journey with regard to institutional grounding in Black Liberation, Climate Justice, and Just Transition.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, accountability, and a commitment to TCLP’s mission.
- Collaborative teammate committed to customer service, highly detail-oriented, and skilled problem-solver that takes ownership of tasks.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally for in-person staff gatherings.
- Basic understanding of the principles of bookkeeping, accounting, and payroll.
- Familiarity with accounting software and expense management systems desired.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel a plus.
- Education or two (2) to three (3) years of experience in accounting or a related field.
Details at a Glance
Full Time Schedule
High School Diploma Required
Up to USD $65,000 / year
This position is fulltime, exempt. The salary is $65,000. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, health savings accounts, health reimbursement arrangements, income protection (AD&D), tax savings, travel assistance, EAP, life insurance, and retirement plans, as well as vacation, PTO, and holidays.
Level of Language Proficiency
Most be fluent in written and spoken English.
Interested in this position?
Apply online at Idealist.org